Friday, January 27, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Tart

Ahhh....my first photo-worthy effort in baking.  I admit, I wasn't much of a cook when I first got married almost 5 years ago.  At age 22, I never had a real need to learn much besides how to cook eggs for breakfast and tuna salad (I stayed on a pretty strict diet my last 2 years at college as I was preparing for, and competing in figure competitions. My diet was mostly eggs, plain chicken or tuna and yogurt with some fruit...not much need for cookbooks).
My mother has always made things from scratch, we sat down to dinner as a family every night around the dinner table, had big Sunday brunches together, and even now she's still my favorite cook. Shortly before getting married, my mom started watching Paula Deen on Food Network. I would watch with her because I just loved to listen to Miss Paula talk. Then one day, I saw her make something I wanted to try, I think it was fruit pizza, and since then, my love for cooking and baking has really taken off.  I love the satisfaction I get from putting a great meal on the table at night, the look on guests faces when they try something really great that I've made...I guess you could say food is a good expression of love where I'm from. I do try to "healthify" any recipes of Paula's I make the majority of the time.
Anyway, the Strawberry Shortcake Tart recipe was on the cover of the April 2010 Southern Living and I just had to make it! I can tell you, it is a amazing as it looks!

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plain yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp orange marmalade
1 (16 oz) container fresh strawberries, cut in half
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
Fresh mint, whipped cream for garnish

Preheat over to 425 degrees. place first 6 ingredients, in order, in a food processor. You can cut them in by hand if you don't have a processor. Process 20 seconds or until mixture resembles coarse sand. Transfer into a large bowl.
In a seperate bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3-4 times (DO NOT over work your dough!!!!). Press dough on bottom and up sides of a lightly greased 9-inch tart pan.
Bake at 425 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Microwave 1 tbsp marmalade for 10 seconds; bruch over crust. Cool for 45 minutes.
Stir together strawberries and 1/2 cup marmalade.
Beat heavy cream with 2 tbsp sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, (this can take about 5-7 minutes depending on your mixer). Spoon onto cornmeal crust, top with strawberry mixture. Garnish as desired. This is a wonderful spring or summertime dessert. You will want to store it in the fridge so your whipped cream doesn't melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment