Thursday, March 29, 2012

Best Southern Buttermilk Buscuits

I am head over heels in LOVE with these biscuits! They remind me a lot of Cracker Barrel biscuits, so obviously, they're amazing! The recipe is so simple, but the key is in handling the dough as little as possible. I hope y'all enjoy these! Throw in some fried eggs and sausage gravy and you have the perfect Sunday morning pre-church breakfast.

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6-7 tablespoons shortening
1 cup lowfat buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray a pan with cooking spray or rub with butter. Wisk the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl, then cut in shortening with a fork or pastry cutter (or your hands)  until it is piecy looking. Add in buttermilk and mix until just combined, no more! I use my hands for this part, which if you do, either flour them or spray them with cooking oil before diving in. Flour a work surface and turn out dough.Gently pat the dough, using your hands, not a pin, until it is about half an inch thick, maybe a bit more. Using your biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits and place them on your baking sheet. I place my bisuits touching on the pan so that they'll bake more golden than darker. Bake 10-12 minutes and ENJOY! They are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment